Concept for Steam Locomotive Maintenance & Display Facility at ABQ Railyards
A purpose-built location on the Albuquerque Railyards for the maintenance and display of steam locomotive 2926 and possibly other steam locomotives that would provide Albuquerque with the following:
1) A practical and functioning maintenance facility to keep locomotives in proper operating condition to power excursions that will be a new and innovative tourism attraction
2) An accurate historical recreation of the use of the Railyards as it was in the heyday of steam locomotive maintenance
3) A source of revenue to the City through the rental charges for storage on reconditioned turntable finger tracks for private passenger rail cars
4) Housing of passenger cars for excursions and charters powered by 2926 saving car transfer, transportation and lease costs
5) A public display facility when 2926 is not in operation
6) A venue for educational activities
We have developed two concepts from our ten-year restoration of 2926:
A. Concept A is based on an approximate 27,000 sq. ft. maintenance and display facility built adjacent to the turntable with remaining finger tracks reconditioned for secure private passenger rail car storage including proper power and water. The Albuquerque location with temperate weather and access to a complete shop will create a premium base for private car owners.
B. Concept B is also based on an approximate 27,000 sq. ft. maintenance and display facility but is set further into the far Southeast corner of the Rail Yards to utilize as much if the 27 acre site as possible. There is still access to the turntable and additional finger tracks are available for private passenger car storage.
The New Mexico Steam Locomotive and Railroad Historical Society looks forward to working with the City, Samitaur Constucts, the Wheels Museum, and other interested parties to answer any questions and to provide additional input as necessary.