||LIST ALL||<<< BACK||CURRENT||NEXT >>>|
Work Session Status Week Ending 04/21/2018
April 23, 2018
After a tumultuous ten days we are again making progress to a successful full boiler hydro test.
Besides fixing leaks in old fittings and components we have what we feel is a successful brass pour for the radial buffer plate. Lubrication slots are being machined into the surfaces for the grease to easily flow.
Various valves are being repacked and cleaned. Some pipe unions were not sufficiently tightened causing some of the leaks.
We also had a few superheater joint leaks which have been attended to and await the next hydro.
As always, jacketing work continues and will for the foreseeable future.
The custom cab jump seat is still a work in progress. It has been put on hold until the next full hydro test.
This past Wednesday the fuel oil truck arrived to deliver the requested amount for the future steam-up. After all the oil had been dispensed the oil tank dip stick measured "2926" gallons of oil resided in the oil bunker. Dr. Mike photographed the astonishing number.
But soon after we discovered we had a leak in the wall common to the flue sand container which filled with oil and flowed over. In the early day of the tender restoration the wasted metal area was not obvious. Apparently the pressure of the oil caused the wasted area to push through the common wall and fill the lower sand bunker. There was also a pin hole in the bottom of the sand bunker.
We had to call the delivery truck back to remove the oil from the tender. Luckily we took the precaution to position the front of the tender over the pit area which served as a containment area.
Saturday we removed the front portion of the sand bunker to seal weld new plates in the bunker. When repairs are complete the front of the bunker will be welded back in place.
That was it for the week, and as usual . . .
Keep on Steamin',
Rick Kirby, CMO